Exercise: Establishing something and Maintaining it
Is there a difference between these things, if so, what is the difference?
- Setting up (establishing) a rule that says “do not enter the room without knocking”
- Maintaining the rule the says “do not enter the room without knocking”
- Forming (Establishing) a friendship
- Maintaining that person as a friend
- Forming (Establishing) a reputation for fairness
- Maintaining a reputation for fairness
Leading Idea: Setting Up and Maintaining
Establishing (מֵקִים ), remembering (לִזְכֹּר) and remembering in the future (זָכַרְתִּי)
In Verses 9:8-17 God turns his attention from Noah to himself. “As for me…” Within this passage he reflects on the act of setting up or establishing a covenant and remembering it – that is maintaining a covenant (keeping it over time), and the intention to keep it in the future (I will remember).
God also reflects on the ‘sign’ (אות) , or rainbow, as representing the covenant (as a sign of the covenant), as a way of showing us of his intentions (it stands as a sign between me and you), and as a way of reminding himself of his covenant. These exercises and discussion plans explore these subtle yet very powerful distinctions.