Discussion: Establishing new civic norms.
Do you think the following civic, or societal, norms were in place 30 years ago? If not, how do you think they came about? Who put them in place? In what ways are they moral or cultural norms? If they are moral norms, what values do they express?
- Facebook etiquette
- Expecting there to be a security check at the entrance to schools
- Sharing the bill when going out on a date
- Swapping clothes with a friend
- Lighting candles at the sight of a tragedy
- Considering it wrong to hit children
- Having recycling bins in public areas
- Having service learning programs in place in schools
- Judging work in terms of productivity (rather than satisfaction or gainful employment)